Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Latest

Well January was my birthday month and as expected it was basically the same as all the others. No big party but I did have my blind date with that cowboy. I think it went well but I'll be surprised if I get a second one. On the plus side, Mom left my number for our cute waiter at Chili's but I still haven't heard from him so we'll see about that one. . . My friend also left my number with another cute waiter at Red Robin in St. George but no news from him either, but it is what it is. I did go to California with my Mom and Natalie to visit some family. It was a long drive for a weekend but lots of fun and definitely worth it. We found out lots of information for genealogy work will keep us busy for a while. Those were basically the highlights of the last few weeks.

Student teaching is going great. My TWS. . . well it's coming along I guess, slowly. This week I finished my first placement which was in special ed. I'm happy to be done but I miss all the kids I worked with and I was actually pretty sad on my last day working with all of them. But now I'm in a Kindergarten room with 23 students in the morning and 18 in the afternoon. What a handful! They are very busy and hard to keep track of. I'll admit I was pretty worried to start from previous bad experiences in Kindergarten classes but I have been pleasantly surprised. There are still times when I feel like I'm going crazy but overall it's gone well. My first day I mostly observed and helped keep the kids still and quite but on the second day I was put to work. I took over "opening" on the rug, which is when we recite the ABC's, practice writing sentances, counting to 20, calendar, etc. Then in the afternoon my mentor teacher had to go to a meeting at the district office so I had to take over. She was planning on only being gone about an hour but I got the schedule for the whole day just in case. Thankfully I got it because she didn't get back until 10 min. before school got out so I was solo all afternoon. I think it went well and we didn't have any major problems but I wasn't expecting to take over for the whole class my 2nd day. They kids are so cute and do the funniest things it's hard to not laugh all the time. I'm excited to see how the rest of my time in the room will go.

No comments: