Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Birthday


I've been wanting to try to learn to decorate cakes for a long time and just haven't done it. So. . . I finally just decided to do it and quit waiting around.   I have bought a few cheap frosting tips over the years but never really done much with them.  This weekend is Travis' Birthday so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try to decorate a cake with fondant and do some fancy decorating with frosting.  He is a pretty big golfer so I decided on a golf theme cake.  Here are pictures of how it went.


Baking the cakes

Fresh out of the oven


I was shocked how well the came out of the pan,  didn't even stick a little bit  :)


Crumb coating with buttercream icing


Each of the cakes with fondant, not at tough as I expected but I definitely need more practice with this still



Stacking and placing the cakes


Added the tee (right), green (left) and bunker with brown sugar


I used the leftover icing to make the grass


I decided to add a small pond with dyed sugar


The last finishing touches: the pin, ball, tee markers, and the birthday message 



Happy Birthday!



 I had so much fun making this and I love how it turned out.  I must admit though, it took a few hours of watching you tube videos, several trips to the store, and a small investments in some new pans and decorating tools, but it was all definitely worth it.  Happy Birthday Travis!


2 comments:

IrishFamily said...

I turned out FANTASTIC!!! I wish I could learn how to do something cool like that. My kids would definately love birthday more than they do now if they had a decent cake to eat :)

Valerie said...

It really wasn't super hard. Next time it should go faster since I'll kind of know what I'm doing. If I'm down there I'll make some for your kids :)